Re: OT Surge Protected Extension Leads - fail PAT test??!!??! Any ideas

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT Surge Protected Extension Leads - fail PAT test??!!??! Any ideas
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:33:04 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

--- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "David Yeend"
<david.yeend@c...>
wrote:
> Can anyone answer this one for me please.... It has
> originated from a work place PAT testing excercise. ...
> Basically it has been found that the typical non-surge
> protected 4-way mains extension block will pass a PAT
> test. However, all of the surge protected units have been
> found to fail the insulation aspect of the test.

Just a note on the politics here - stuff doesnt have to pass a PAT
test (or indeed even be PAT tested) to show compliance with the H&S
workplaced regs, though PAT test vendors and PAT test outsourcers
dont usually mention that.  Passing a PAT test is usually considered
sufficient to show that you have complied with the intent of the law.

So for things that cant be PAT tested, an alternative approach is
acceptable, which could be just a full visual examination, or
partial PAT test plus visual.  Or a qualified person saying "I
looked at it and its OK".

Just a sidenote - Insulation testing a surge protector may kill it,
as they are designed to contain excessive voltages, and a 2.5K PAT
insulation test would probably qualify as "excessive" :-)

David

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com