RE: Workshop - underground....

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Workshop - underground....
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:23:20 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

Hi Jeff,

Firstly I'm not an expert, but I just recall a recent comment from the
Selfbuild list regarding the running gas pipes in vented spaces - I don't
know if this applies to the meter too, as mine's in my garage :-)

I *think* meters can be in the house, but then Bldg regs for new builds
require x-amount of ventilation etc. to be provided for habitable rooms. My
concern was your situation with a buried, enclosed space, well sealed from
outside. Day to day it's probably not too much of an issue, practically
speaking. However, if your meter has a small leak that you can't smell
(like the gas valve on my old boiler !) then you go on holiday for
two/three weeks, come home and rush straight in, turn a light switch on . .
.

I was / am interested in the answer too, as future plans may mean
relocating the meter and/or converting the garage. Maybe ask over on the
Selfbuild list ?

Gas alarm ? Carbon monoxide monitors are pretty cheap but not what you need
here. I'm not sure how much a flammable gas detector would be. I can
probably get you a price for some we would use at work, but they ain't
cheap !  Ventilating to make the area 'safe' (a term with a specific
meaning in safety circles) is probably not an option either as you'd
require something like 10 air changes per hour.

I'm afraid I don't have any answers, a friendly building control officer is
what you need.

Cheers,

Tim.

+

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com