RE: Workshop - underground....

Ok I just nipped next door to speak to our Building Control Officers and
after
some headscratching this was their reply:
If it is under 30m2 AND it does not have a connection to foul AND it is for
workshop only building regs will be 'a la' garage, eg they will not apply.
But
if it is for habitation or has a foul sewer connection (sink, toilet etc)
then
you will require full building regs and you will be into the realms of
adequate
ventilation, access etc etc and as it is an underground structure you may
require forced air ventilation systems.

Simon

Quoting "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)"
<haweste@airproducts.com>:

> <tt>
> Hi Jeff,<BR>
> <BR>
> Firstly I'm not an expert, but I just recall a recent comment from the
> Selfbuild list regarding the running gas pipes in vented spaces - I
don't
> know if this applies to the meter too, as mine's in my garage
:-)<BR>
> <BR>
> I *think* meters can be in the house, but then Bldg regs for new
builds
> require x-amount of ventilation etc. to be provided for habitable
rooms. My
> concern was your situation with a buried, enclosed space, well sealed
from
> outside. Day to day it's probably not too much of an issue,
practically
> speaking. However, if your meter has a small leak that you can't smell
(like
> the gas valve on my old boiler !) then you go on holiday for two/three
weeks,
> come home and rush straight in, turn a light switch on . . .
<BR>
> <BR>
> I was / am interested in the answer too, as future plans may mean
relocating
> the meter and/or converting the garage. Maybe ask over on the
Selfbuild list
> ?<BR>
> <BR>
> Gas alarm ? Carbon monoxide monitors are pretty cheap but not what you
need
> here. I'm not sure how much a flammable gas detector would be. I can
probably
> get you a price for some we would use at work, but they ain't cheap
!&nbsp;
> Ventilating to make the area 'safe' (a term with a specific meaning in
safety
> circles) is probably not an option either as you'd require something
like 10
> air changes per hour.<BR>
> <BR>
> I'm afraid I don't have any answers, a friendly building control
officer is
> what you need.<BR>
> <BR>
> Cheers,<BR>
> <BR>
> Tim.<BR>
> <BR>
> &gt; -----Original Message-----<BR>
> &gt; From: Young, Jeff&nbsp; Sent: 22 January 2004
14:40<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; I hope not - do you know about any building regs on this
<BR>
> &gt; subject?&nbsp; We are<BR>
> &gt; building a cupboard around this corner as it also contains
<BR>
> &gt; the watermain.<BR>
> &gt; Everything is faily new ie &lt; 4 years old so I hope we
will not see
> any<BR>
> &gt; problems with the pipe work etc.&nbsp; I see what your'e
saying <BR>
> &gt; about mixing<BR>
> &gt; electrical goods and gas mains in the same area.....hadn't
<BR>
> &gt; thought of that.<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; I am running cold air supply pipes into the rooms and I will
<BR>
> &gt; also run an<BR>
> &gt; extractor fan on a timer / humidity sensor.&nbsp; As the
room is <BR>
> &gt; sealed you can<BR>
> &gt; suffer with condensation and poor air quality.&nbsp; I
think I <BR>
> &gt; will get some sort<BR>
> &gt; of gas alarm rigged up in that corner.<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; -----Original Message-----<BR>
> &gt; From: Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)&nbsp; Sent: 22 January
2004 14:24 <BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; -----Original Message-----<BR>
> &gt; From: Young, Jeff Sent: 22 January 2004 12:47<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; <a

href="http://www.perfectmotion.co.uk/pict4.jpg";>http://www.perfectmotion.co.uk/p
ict4.jpg</a><BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; Jeff,<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; Do you have to do anything special with your gas meter as
<BR>
> &gt; it's now in a<BR>
> &gt; (tanked) habitable room ?<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; Thanks,<BR>
> &gt; <BR>
> &gt; Tim H.<BR>
> <BR>
> +<BR>
> </tt>

> <tt>
> UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!<BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com <BR>
> Subscribe:&nbsp; ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com <BR>

> <tt><hr width="500">
> <ul>
> <li>To visit your group on the web, go to:<br><a

d/</a><br>&nbsp;
> <li>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
to:<br><a
> href="mailto:ukha_d-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe";>ukha_d-
> <li>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
> href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>Yahoo!
Terms of Service</a>.
> </ul>
> </tt>

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com