RE: Workshop - underground....

Mark,

There are a number of ways you could approach this, a Pre-cast solution,
manufactured off site (Germany usually) and put in the hole. Or in my
opinion the simpler alternative of a Concrete Blocks, Re-Bar, and a lot
of concrete...

Access will be your biggest issue, Soil bulks up to about 150% of what
need to be removed. Remember to allow for the wall thickness and
foundation slab in any Cubic Metre calculation. Getting the materials on
site is no small job either...

There are many variations on 'Tanking'. The old method was to completely
waterproof, an inverted pool ? I have gone the drainage membrane route.
Lets face it, water will get in, when it does you then deal with it by
draining it in a controlled way. I worked on the Channel Tunnel and that
was the attitude there as well...

My experience is a basement on a new build, which I think has been very
successful, all though not cheap. But in my situation it was the only
way to get the space I wanted as I was using all the permitted
development above ground. Basements do not use permitted development
space. They just need to meet building regs.

You can see the method on my website http://primrosecottage.no-ip.com

Architects tend to shy away from this stuff because they have never done
it. You may want to try http://www.basements.org.uk/

If you want to contact me off list feel free.

Nigel