Re: Automating blinds

Hi Neil,

I did this a few years ago in my old flat. I only had them opening and
closing either, fully open or fully closed. Was great when I was
offshore as it gave the impression I was at home all the time.

I used a small motor and a flexible (oldham) coupling between the motor
and the normal pull string pulley. I had to drill a hole in the side of
the body and glue in a shaft to the pulley. This then extended out of
the body to which the coupling would fit onto.

I arrange 2 small micro switches to be switched when the blinds where
open and closed. These where then used to control the motor direction
and stopping. After each one tripped, it would stay off until commanded
to go the other way.

The whole lot was fitted in a small plastic box on the side of the
blinds and was very unobtrusive.

Sadly I don't have any pictures (the days before digital) and I no
longer have those blinds either.

I do know that you can buy ready made electric venetian blinds but they
are expensive.

Dave...
---

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes...!!
---
http://www.v8carlton.com
http://www.embeddedcomputer.co.uk
---

lists@spellings.net wrote:

> Has anyone automated venetian blinds? If so, how did you do it?
>
> Also looking at curtain controllers - is an Autoglide+X10 controller
the
> way to go?
>
> Cheers,
>

> /Neil/

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com