RE: Re: [OT] Woodworking - making a tape storage shelf system

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [OT] Woodworking - making a tape storage shelf system
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <smorgo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:25:52 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

I'd indeed agree that all those individual separators would make for
awfully
fiddly construction.

A mini bookcase is relatively simple if you've got a router.

Try this:

1. Using 2 boards that are just over twice as wide as the desired depth
(front-to-back) of your cabinet.

Board A should be the same length as the overall height of your cabinet.
This will form the sides.
Board B second should be a little under the length as the overall width of
the cabinet (width - board thickness). This will form the top and bottom.

2. On board A: Using a straight cutting router bit that is the same
diameter
as the board is wide, cut a rebate at one end (this will be the top). The
depth of the rebate should be half the thickness of the boards.

3. Route a slot a little way up from the other end. This take the bottom.
Don't do it as a rebate, because there'll be no support beneath the base
and
if it has to take significant weight, it may fail later.

3. Route a slot to the same depth where you want each shelf to be.

4. Using a table saw, cut this board in half lengthways. You now have two
matching sides.

5. Cut board B in half lengthways and you have top and bottom.

6. Route a 4 or 6mm deep rebate along the back edge of each of these
boards.

7. Assemble with pins/glue.

8. Cut a piece of veneered plywood (or hardboard) to fit inside the rebate
on the back and pin into place. This will keep the cabinet square and
rigid.

9. Cut shelves to fit and slide into place.

If you're feeling rather more adventurous, you could cut through-dovetails
to joins the top/bottom to the sides. This will make for a much stronger
joint but is obviously much more labour intensive (and requires more skill,
too!)

Steve

slot"
> system because it made it too difficult to
> reorganize/alphabetize.  So instead, I took two long side
> pieces, Dado'ed them at the right intervals, and made a bunch
> of wide shelves that fit the dat tapes standing on their sides.
>
> Basically, picture a standard book case with horizontal
> shelves, and then make the shelves just tall enough to hold a
> DAT tape, and just deep enough to hold a DAT tape.
>
> Pictures tonight, If I can "unpack" the thing, since it has
> been buried in the basement.  It was replaced by an old
> punch-card cabinet, whose punch card trays were perfect for
> the DAT tapes.
>
> Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
> David Clark Company Inc.

oak
> for you to
> > make it a little more interesting.  Nice people too - Last
> time I was
> > there I only bought 4 planks of oak flooring to make a
> small bookcase,
> > but they were really helpful and sifted through lots of
> planks to find the nicest.
> >
> > No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.  You self-build
Johnnies