Re: DIY Lighting DMX Option

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: DIY Lighting DMX Option
  • From: "Bob Calvert" <bob@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:57:30 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

Most of the PC based controllers are now resonably cheap, and there
are a few out there, as they now use a fairly standard USB dongle for
DMX ouptting.
The problem you will find is that the software is normally written
for theatre/nightclub/disco uses, so programming for HA, which is
more like a architectual install may not be as simple, and there is
then the question of how to trigger it.
Most of the software is designed for moving lights, the waggle things
on top of the pops etc.
Most of the PC controllers can be triggered via midi, 232, contact
closures, and often have real time scripting features aswell.

programming these things is my job so
heres a few pc desk manufacturers if your interested

http://www.showcad.com
http://www.nicolaudie.com/
http://www.dmx512.ch/

--- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Gale" <groups@s...>
wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Did you look at that link I posted - cheap DMX controller - dunno
if it does what you wanted though?

> Paul.

They
> > disappeared off the NJD site about 2 years ago (though I should
check, in
> > case they've come back.)
> >
> > On the DMX front, another friend of mine runs a theatre lighting
> > consultancy
> > as a result of which he's ended up with a lot of lighting kit off
the back
> > of various projects.
> >
> > We've looked at DMX for domestic use several times over the past
6 years,
> > but the stumbling block has always been the price of the PC DMX
> > controllers.
> > (OK - technically it's in use at his house, but we never really
looked
> > further.)
> >
> > As you say, it's a simply protocol, optimised for lighting only,
and 512
> > channels should be enough for most homes :-)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Mark

for
the home...

> > > It has been mentioned before several times. Someone was also
using Midi
> > for
> > > lighting control using the Midi enabled dimmer packs from
NJD
hooked up