Re: EIB installation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Mc Alinden" <fmcalind@bigpond.net.au>
To: <ukha_d@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] EIB installation

> Hi Martin
> >Just say we wire the house with a bus system and it
> >works perfectly for years and then we sell it,
>
> In a few years time intelligent lighting will be the norm and there
will
be
> sufficient supply of  electrical contractors out there who will have
the
> skills to install / maintain these systems IMHO....
> Would have thought an Electrical Engineer would be more forward
thinking
???
> Arnt these the people that brought us from a control relay
system....to
plc
> ,s scada,s....
>  etc.....
> Frank

I don't think that's very likely.  Standard wiring will be the norm for
decades to come yet.  It's cheap, it works, and the supposed benefits of
home automation are not worth the cost for the vast majority of people.

If there comes a day when "intelligent lighting" is the norm, you
can be
sure it won't be using any of todays systems, so there will never be a
ready
supply of electrical contractors who are familiar with X10, CBus etc.

The ability to revert the house to more standard wiring is important - a
potential buyer may be intimidated by the maintenance of an HA setup; it
would be better to be able to undo it and make the sale - plus you could
then take all that expensive kit with you :-)

Mal

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com