Re: X10 IR interface

An Ocelot controller is also a (slightly) less expensive option than
Homevision...

Ocelot controller = £175 (inc)
SECU16/IR = £88 (inc)
XM10U (TW7223) X10 -> Mains Interface = £30
IR "Blink" emitters = £10 (ish) each.

this would be dearer than a PC option provided you already have a PC
kicking
around that you can use... However, if you had to buy a PC as well, that
would probably cost as much as the above.. - by the time you add in the
cost
of the IR hardware, the HA software and so on, the Ocelot could potentially
work out as a cheaper option (though still not trivial!)

Also, don't forget to factor in the fact that a PC based solution is
inherently unreliable, unstable, noisy, power-hungry, and quite large..  -
Accepted that it is possible to mitigate against most of those points with
time, effort, and expense, but nonetheless, PC hardware will always be the
weak link (IMHO).

OTOH, a dedicated controller like Homevision/Ocelot is generally *far* more
reliable, quiet, less power-hungry, and much smaller... The above
combination would give you a comprehensive zoned IR controller (16 zones),
comprehensive X10 control, and a fully programmable HA controller..

HTH

Paul G.

>From: Doogie Brodie <ukhad@doogiebrodie.com>
>To: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [ukha_d] X10 IR interface
>Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:19:27 +0000
>
>Hi Howard,
>
> > Does anybody know a piece of kit that will allow me to generate
IR
> > signals from an X10 command. I have installed the Futronix
lighting
> > controller in my lounge and I want to control the lights (just
switch
> > them on really) from an X10 command generated from my Intellect
Alarm

http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess