Re: [Advert] [BulkBuy] Low Cost RS232 Serial to EthernetConvertors

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [Advert] [BulkBuy] Low Cost RS232 Serial to EthernetConvertors
  • From: ian.bird@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:10:09 +0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

Hi Stephen

There are a few guys including myself working on Ethernet enabled gadgets
with interfaces to other whatevers. These include the Dallas 1 wire temp
sensors and I expect I/O ports. You could then connect the I/O to relays
for the valves and monitor the temperature with the stat. In my case this
sort of device speaks xAP (text based protocol) and the plus points here
are
1) standard Ethernet  infrastructure
2) no serial one to one limitations
3) will work with your own application from  a PC
4) can be interfaced into a lot of other applications with a connector and
some help from the xAP or xPL guys.

etc. etc.

It is a fair bit of work but would do the job rather well I think. Of
course you will have to wait for myself or one of the folks working on this
to produce something to sell. The down side with anything Ethernet is it
seems to cost around 100 minimum per module. You might be able to justify
this with the added functionality offered though.

Sadly you need mass production numbers (millions) to produce stuff at the
prices we see PC components. As an example I have to pay about a tenner for
a network chip, I can buy a network card for a PC with the same chip on it
for a fiver. Drives me up the wall for one.

Have fun

Ian

Stephen
<yahoo@stephenorme.frees