Re: Linux based CCTV motion detection?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Linux based CCTV motion detection?
  • From: "gearboxgraeme" <gkjones@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:01:01 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

Hi, Ive had several months experience of this area myself.

Personally I have three cameras around my house.
Front door is covered by a little Volex bullet camera ( size of a=20
golf ball, about 40quid in Maplins, cheaper elsewhere ) - great bit=20
of kit, mounted under the eaves I can point at it and people still=20
not see it. Good picture as well - would recommend.

Back garden by an old Focus Response cam - cheap and crap. I was up=20
the ladder putting up a floodlight, it covers the same area as the=20
light. Cant be bought anymore and its no loss.

Driveway covered by a low light IR camera - again, Ive seen the same=20
thing in Maplins for =A350 quid. Good picture and reasonable=20
illumination in darkness. ( Place I work at has got a colour one=20
before Chrimbo, drops to BW at night, from Henrys for =A3100 - its a=20
better camera but twice the price ). I got mine off ebay and Im quite=20
happy with it - dont know the make or model.

The first two are fed into a generic 4 port bt848 chipset composite=20
capture card. This was got off ebay for about 25-30 quid from a guy=20
in China or Hongkong. ( I think the other posters on this topic are=20
referring to the same person ). Software that came with the card=20
was 'a bit naff' but I managed to find a couple of places doing=20
Windows WDM drivers for it.

Currently sitting in a P2 - 450 running Win2k. Software is=20
www.supervision.cam. Really good stuff, been using it unregistered=20
for several months. Only complaint is latest version is dog slow (=20
for me ), Ive gone back to previous beta release - this is really=20
good - am likely to register this.

I have another machine running Red Hat Linux 9 ( also P2 - 450 )=20
which has a Videologic capture card. Again this is a Bt848 chipset -=20
direct support under Linux ( Video4Linux kernel module ).
This is currently running motion ( motion.sourceforge.net ), which I=20
can also recommend. A bit harder to configure as it uses text config=20
file and command line rather than windows gui - BUT, you get the=20
source code and Im a c/c++ under Unix/Linux programmer by trade. Ive=20
already tweaked the timelapse motion grab mpeg from 1 minute to 1=20
second. ( must do a script to archive these daily files to another=20
machine before my hd gets full )

Summation : windows - supervisioncam
linux - motion

Capture card : bt848 based card, gives me support under both OS's.
Cameras - Im impressed with the Volex one.

I got the windows drivers from the net if anybody wants them ( took a=20
bit of hunting ). I can also email picture samples if wanted.

Cheers - Graeme

PS: Ive had a brief look at the zoneminder website, looks like it=20
might take a bit more setting up than the above two, but could do=20
more stuff - I havent even downloaded it yet so cant really make a=20
fair comment.

--- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "David Yeend"
<david.yeend@c...> wrote:
> Paul,
>=20=20
> I did have a look, and I also made a wider search - not too=20
conclusive so I think I'll just have to go and give it a go. With the=20
strength of the pound the card Ian identified is only around =A320=20
delivered.=20
>=20=20
> I found some info on newsnet which was split - some cards with the=20
878 chip have problems with video 4 linux (aparrently) others don't.=20
I am a total newbie where Linux is concerned, and indeed where this=20
hardware is concerned so I could be talking utter garbage......
>=20=20
> By the way are you running this solution?
>=20=20
> Regards,
>=20=20
> David
>=20
>=20

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com=20
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com=20