Re: Wireless Broadband - The Alternative

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Wireless Broadband - The Alternative
  • From: "Mik Griffin" <panheadscrew@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:03:49 -0000

I do this for my neighbour.  I have some Linksys WAP54G access
points one of which has one of its antennas replaced with a 20.5Dbi
Parabolic Mesh Antenna from Wireless Pro
(http://www.wirelesspro.co.uk/store/catalog/product_info.php?
products_id=10).  My neighbour has the same type of antenna
connected to Linksys 54G PC card.  This all works fine - although we
have line of sight between the antennas, he is well over 500 metres
away and gets good signal strength with minimal loss.  The only
pitfalls of this is that it can be expensive - about 40 quid each
for the antennas and 15 quid each for the pigtails to connect them
to the Linksys kit.  There are better (and more expensive antennas
which will go further) and you can make your own antenna cheaper.
You can also make the pigtails but if you are going to do this I
would avoid Linksys as their antenna connectors are non standard.

The issue was not one of Wireless connection but more to do with
security.  I have locked down all of my Access Points so that they
only connect to known MAC addresses and I use full encryption.  At
his end, he has a PC with a static IP address running WINGATE which
services his own internal subnet on a different IP range to mine.  I
have a cheap and cheerful Netgear ADSL router and NAT firewall but
my neighbor has a weather station and some other applications that
require some ports open that are normally closed.  Therefore, I have
a DMZ set up to his static IP address and he provides his own
firewall.  This all checks out through Shields UP! (
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2)

All in all it works well.

Cheers

Mik

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tim Fletcher" <timfletcher@b...>
wrote:
> My lack of broadband is now causing severe mental health problems
for me.  The exchange is enabled, but I am 200M too far away!  And
failed to get on the BT extended range trial because my line is too
noisy.

> Over New Year drinks I found a neighbour who can get BB and I
proposed to him a wireless link in return for me paying his BB
bills.  I think the houses are 1000M apart (with buildings in
between) has anyone got any experience of doing this?  What are my
chances?  Any pitfalls?  Recommendations for protocol & equipment?

> Thanks,
>
> 64K Tim.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx