Re: Re: Help! X10 aware electrician required in Bromley/SE London area

silverelise wrote:

> Hi Doogie thanks for the info.

Hi Matthew, happy to help :)

> I think the third option is a nono, but options one and two are go-
> ers.

Yeah, option 3 is a lot more wiring, but as I say, if you put in cat5 to
the switches, allows for upgrade to something else later, and
homerunning lights gives you much better flexibility for the future. But
if you're not planning to spend a long time in that property, and it
would require mass un-planned re-decoration etc, then it probably
doesn't make sense for you.

> I'm planning on running cat5's in a separate channel and i was
> looking at a 6-way double-width plate per room with 4 cat 5's and 2
> coaxials in each.

As I'm sure others will say; think of the number of cat5 devices you're
thinking about installing in each room just now, double it, and add some
on.

You may or may not have thought about what you can run over cat5

Data
PC Networking (obviously!)
Wireless LAN access point(s)
Broadband Router
Data based whole house audio (eg www.slimp3.com ,
www.exstreamer.com)
Data based whole house video (as discussed by Phil Harris, Graham
Howe etc, serving onto a PC/xbox/kiss etc)
Xbox/ PS2 for online gaming
Data based CCTV camera (eg www.axis.com)
Control signals for systems like Clipsal C-Bus ;-)

Non-Data
Video distribution - from DVD/ Tivo/Sky+ etc (with www.kat5.tv)
Audio distribution (with www.kat5.tv)
Telephone distribution (you might be considering DECT, but might
also want to patch a couple of wired phone points)
IR distribution (either Kat5 when the new version is released, or
www.Xantech.com etc)
Connecting PIRs/ temperature sensors etc to a controller (eg
HomeVision www.csi3.com)

I'm sure there are several things I've missed off that list!

So, in short; run more cat5, if not, you'll probably regret it! Maybe
not today, maybe not tomorrow, but next time a bargain comes around....
;->

(also remember you don't need to terminate all your cat5 - you could run
8 wires, terminate 4, and leave 4 behind the faceplate for future
expansion)

Cheers

--
Doogie

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx