RE: Balanced vs unbalanced

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Balanced vs unbalanced
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 11:00:20 -0000

Hi,

Actually, balanced audio is normally traditionally sent via XLR cable and
connectors - any professional audio applications (studio mics etc) that use
analogue audio will use balanced audio. Basically it is a method for
rejecting noise picked up by cables (mains hum and other RF interference).

Page 11 of the following excellent guide shows how it works:

http://www.shure.com/pdf/booklets/music.pdf

Basically to answer your main question - unbalanced transmission of audio
is far more susceptible to audio interference (especially if the cables are
run close to mains wiring or other equipment that is electronically noisy.

Paul.