RE: LED Lighting Again

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: LED Lighting Again
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:23:51 -0000

From: rb_ziggy [mailto:richard.boreham@xxxxxxx]
> Following on from Andy Laurence's experiences of LED lighting I've
> decided to take the plunge for an 'automated' wardrobe.

Glad I've inspired someone!

> From Andy's description it appears the LED's were wired to the power
> supply in parallel (I infer this as each had the same resistor and it
> looks like there was quite a few of them, so running in series from a
> 9V supply looks unlikely???).

You're right.

> Could someone confirm this works
> fine.  I ask as another site referenced a while back (Lee's LED Guide
> at www.leesspace.com/LEDs) suggested the series wiring was fine but
> parallel not such a good idea - something about current flow not
> being evenly divided. Any views on this?

Well, it works fine on mine.  The resistance is the same across each
LED/resistor pair, so the current should be the same.  The LEDs are all the
same brightness anyway!  The reason I used parallel was fault finding.  If
one light goes off, I know where the fault is.  If I was using serial,
they'd all go off.  This was very useful when testing.

Cheers,
Andy
--
http://ha.andylaurence.co.uk
http://projects.andylaurence.co.uk

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx