Re: OT : Outlook & IE Questions

Jake Liddell wrote:
> 1.  I use Outlook 2002 on both my desktop and laptop machines.  The
main
> inbox is kept on the server, but I archive things locally in pst
files.
> If I want to get access to the contents of these pst files, I have to
> copy them from desktop to laptop, and back, to keep them in sync.
Does
> anyone know of a good tool (or windows function) that will
> _automatically_ keep the two files in sync, by some sort of regular
> checking whenever the two machines appear on the network (ie the
laptop
> comes home)?

You *could* mess around with the offline files function - from the
laptop if you go \\DesktopMachineName\c$\path to .pst or
\\DesktopMachineName\NamedShare\path to .pst then right click the file
and choose "Make Available Offline"  and then mess around with
the
offline sync settings on your laptop (tools, folder options, offline
files from an explorer window)
Then on your laptop, you would tell it to use the same file
(\\DesktopMachineName etc) which offline files would kick in and manage
if you were disconnected.

This would sync as a binary only, so wouldn't allow a change on the
laptop *and* one on the desktop at the same time to be sync'd - one of
the modified files would have to overwrite the other one.

You can experiment with simpler files (eg notepad or ms word) and I'd
recommend making sure you have a backup before playing around, as
Outlook might not be too happy with the desktop & laptop accessing the
file at the same time, so you might have to make sure outlook is closed
on the one machine before opening it on the other.

> 2.  On my desktop machine, IE 6 autocomplete is enabled for web
> addresses.  However, I want to enable it for forms too, but the
> check-box is greyed out.  I'm on as a user with admin privileges, but
> can't enable forms, user names or passwords.  Any idea why?

Sounds like a lockdown policy; I've had a quick look around and can't
find an obvious reg key for it. :/

On a side note, it's probably a good idea to not enable it on a work
machine.... it's reasonably easy for your IT staff to find out your
login password unless it's *very* secure.... (ideally > 14 characters)
but even at that, your domain password can be reset by someone with
administrator access and someone can log into your machine as if they
were you.

Just a thought!

--
Doogie

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx