RE: [OT] Printers and Print Servers

Quoting Alex Monaghan <ha@xxxxxxx>:
> I've been running a Brother HL-1440 for about a year (low usage) as a
> replacement for my old "free" laser which finally packed up.
This was less
> that £100 and I'm still on the original toner. It has parallel &
USB and
> talks a native printer language rather than being a cheap GDI printer,
so is
> ideal for use on my Linux server and prints OK from Windows or Linux.
I used
> to have this on a (very old) network printer box with no issue (again
from
> Linux or Windows).
>
> Cheap lasers tend to be GDI and MAY cause problems over network print
boxes,
> I'd suggest looking up a few and Googling.

How can you tell ?
Pesumably if it lists MAC OS or Linux on the side of the box then it cant
be a
GDI Printer

> Our ASDA recently had a pile of cheap Samsung (I think they were GDI)
lasers
> for about £70 :-)

So has ours, and Makro has some quite cheap ones as well. Thats why I am
considering a new printer for the same cost as a toner.

I appreciate the cheaper ones wont have the same build quality or endurance
as
a LaserJet4 but I dont print that much!

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk