From: Neil Fuller [mailto:neil@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 06 February 2004 22:41
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: OT Document archiving...continued

Brian

My guess is that you're scanning in colour (24 or 36 bit colour depth?)

It depends on what is being scanned but most of my documents are black and
white or monochrome - Ideal if it's things like printed pages, manuals etc

Also, resolution will have a big impact - I scan at 300dpi. I tried lower
but when I scan a poor quality fax and then enlarge it to read the order
number or somesuch, I found that lower resolutions lost too much detail.

Typical A4 scan in black and white at 300 dpi, saved as a PDF is about 35
40kb

A recent 'highest quality' scan (1200dpi,36 bit colour) of a 10x8 photo was
IIRC about 40MB!!!

Finally, consider upgrading to PP9 - You can scan directly to PDF within
PP9. Also, PP9 has some rudimentary tools for altering scanned PDF docs.

HTH

Regards

Neil