Re: Wireless smoke detectors

  • Subject: Re: Wireless smoke detectors
  • From: Mark J Cox <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:19:26 +0000 (GMT)

> http://www.safelincs.co.uk/section.php?xSec=15

This group just cost me even more money ;)

So I just bought a set of these, 3 of the sensors and one control unit,
which arrived today.  On first impressions they seem to be as loud as the
battery alarms they're replacing, and they can communicate between the
three floors and through the block partition walls without a problem.

I'll put some pictures up in the new year once they're all in position,
these things are much smaller than the alarms they're replacing so will
need a little ceiling painting and hole filling before installation ;)

The control unit has a relay output which triggers for the duration of any
of the alarms triggering (you can if you wish have it delayed by a few
minutes), as well as an input you can pull low to sound all the alarms and
an IO pin that looks like it comes straight from the PIC on the board and
looks like it would be perfect to wire to a 1-wire network.

I've not decided yet if I'm going to put this inside my existing alarm
panel (and have it trigger the alarm panels "Fire" mode, and have
them all
trigger from the alarms communicator output) - or just have it interface
via the HA system.

They're a bit expensive, but for me it's less hassle than retrofitting a
set of wired sensors.  I'll probably get a couple of heat sensors for the
kitchen and garage in the new year.

Cheers,
Mark