Re: Heat Recover, was: RE: NODE 0 Heat

We use a MHRV system in our house.  My Node 0 is spread out in the
loft and gets pretty hot in the Summer (nicely chilled in winter - 13
degrees in the cabinet vs 11 in the loft at present).  Anyway my plan
(when I get round to it) is to build a proper cabinet to hold all the
gubbins and then add an additional leg into the extract side of the
MHRV.  Heat is then recovered from this through the exchanger and
warms the fresh air going into the house.  In the summer, it is usual
just to run the just extract side of the system and use windows (very
old fashioned but effective manual approach) for incoming
ventilation. Hence, in summer, there is no issue with warming
incoming air with N0 waste heat but in the winter you recycle.

This is all very well if you are in the situation to install MHRV but
it's pretty much only practical if you are building or have a
bungalow (if you think retrospective running of cat 5 is bad try
100mm diameter duct).

However for the situation discussed earlier in the thread, it would
be entirely possible to use an extract fan to take the air and waste
heat from N0 into the roof space and then cycle it back via the roof
void into the house in other upstairs rooms.  Obviously, it's best to
get a quiet in-line duct fan and mount it on a noise adsorption
material in the loft, use the biggest ducting possible (to reduce air
velocity) and put in a gate and branch to the outside for summer
running!

Regards

Richard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@c...> wrote:
> I have to declare an interest in this as my Node 0 keeps very warm,
at the moment in an unheated house (still being built). My intention
is to draw air from the room via a whole house ventilation system so
that the heat is 'exchanged' with fresh incoming air being fed to the
rest of the house.

> However, at the moment though I am reconsidering this. The amount
of heat generated and the condition of the air, ie clean and dry, is
such that I may route it into my hallway (node 0 is in the basement)
so that the warmed air flows through the house... This would then
mean I was 'heating' the house in the summer, which would probably be
a problem so I may need to be able to dump the warm air straight to
the outside for the few weeks when I want the interior of the house
cooler than outside...

> Nigel

went into
the