[OT] Shredder for cardboard boxes

Hi guys - some of you may remember my rapidly exploding gerbil population
(48 so far this year, and counting!) and the fact that I found diced and
shredded cardboard to be the safest bedding for young pups.

Well.. As luck would have it, I have about fifty cardboard boxes to dispose
of from an install job, and it seems madness to either landfill or burn
them, knowing that I need to buy gerbil bedding in the near future.

Except - shredding cardboard is no joke it seems - I hired a big garden
shredder from HSS, only to find that it blocks up in seconds when fed
cardboard. Our office shredder chokes on anything heavier than about
100gsm.

So, the question - does anyone know of a good supplier/rental place, a bit
of kit to do the job, a trick or technique, anything?

I'd appreciate any pointers in the right direction!

I.