Re: Re: OT - setting up a Vigor 2600G with a Buffalo access point

Pankaj Dhokia wrote:

> > 'tis perplexing, given the info you've added in later replies.
> >
> > Sure there is physical connectivity between the AP and the
router?
> > ie the wire works, link lights at both ends?  All the IP setting
are
> > fine, so it *should* work, but you already know that :-)
> >
> > I'm assuming here that the laptop is connecting wirelessly to the
> > AP, not a wired connection??
> >
> > Next thing I'd try is plugging the lappy in through a wired
> > connection to the router, and to the AP, and see if the lappy can
> > reach the items through the wired connections.
>
> no, I think I've got you confused!
>
> I have:
>
> PC > wire > router
>
> Laptop > wire > AP
>
> Laptop > wireless card (not AP) > router works fine.
>
> I can't get the AP to see the router.

Looks like you're trying to use your AP as a wireless bridge to a
wireless router. Does it support this functionality? (Most APs can only
cope with the default gateway being connected to the wired side)

Why not just use a wireless PCMCIA card or usb adapter for the laptop?

If not, you would appear to have things connected the wrong way around.
Normally, it would be:

to-the-internet

\
pc    AP-'              `- Laptop

The laptop has to have either a built in or PCMCIA/CF wireless card, or
a USB adapter with this arrangement.

If your router is wireless, you won't need the AP (just the laptop
wireless kit).

Jim