Latest message you have seen: Re: Using a Mobile as an SMS Gateway...

FTA satellite system

  • Subject: FTA satellite system
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:02:04 +0100

Thought this might be of interest to the guys asking about FTA cards a
while
ago....

I just got a flyer through my door from Lidl (not sure why, as I've never
been there, and I don't even know where one is round here...)

Anyway, it has an add in it for a free to air satellite system for £75,
which comprises:

FTA receiver,
Satellite dish,
single LNB,
IR Remote handset (inc batteries)
10m coax cable
scart cable
satellite locator and fixing kit

It's really a portable system, meant for caravans etc... as the receiver
can
run via supplied mains cable or via DC adapter for 12V/24V operation, and
the dish is supplied with a screw clamp, suction feet, or wall bracket, and
the whole thing has a carry case...

That being said, I don't suppose there's any reason you couldn't use it in
"permanent" installation in place of any other Sky receiver. -
the point
being that since is is meant as a FTA receiver, it doesn't need a FTA card
to operate, (indeed, AFAICT, it doesn't even have a slot for one)...

It's made by a firm called Comag, who appear to be German. Now it obviously
isn't going to be great gear at this price, but may be OK hidden away in a
cupboard, connected to TiVo perhaps. (and it does have a 3yr warranty from
the mfr.)

The details are here:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040426.p.Digital_Satellite_Receiver

Regards.