RE: Re: Telephone wiring question : Max REN Count

  • Subject: RE: Re: Telephone wiring question : Max REN Count
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:18:34 +0100

Ian,

Keith D's probably got a much more accurate answer than me, but IIRC, as a
manufacturer, you can't quote a REN less than 1.0, even if it is
substantially lower then 1.0. Also IIRC, modern telephone equipment *is*
much lower than 1.0, the REN was introduced (?) when phones still had bells
etc. in them and drew more current from the line.

If you find you've got too many devices, there is a cheap-ish solution - a
REN booster - CPC do one:
http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=cpc+catalogue&product%5Fid=267172
for just under 40-quid plus VAT.

It's a mains-powered device and boosts the allowable REN from 4 to 11.

For your filter question, I don't have ADSL, but what you suggest sounds
correct :-)

HTH,

Tim H.

+

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

Member Offers - http://www.freeranger.co.uk/ukha