Re: VPN - IP Ranges - ICS

  • Subject: Re: VPN - IP Ranges - ICS
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:31:56 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark McCall" <lists@a...> wrote:
> > One solution is to _bridge_ the two networks, so all machines on
the
> > remote network appear to be an integral part of your primary
network
> > as one big happy fluffy cloud. Unfortunately, AFAIK, Windows VPN
> > configuration doesn't suport this. OpenVPN does, and runs under
> > windows OK.
>
> Can you tell me more about this Patrick?
>
> I currently plan to use the Draytek router as the VPN server, would
this run
> on a windows box instead then?

Yes, you would set up port forwarding (only one UDP port, bi-
directionally, is required) on your router to point at the VPN server
software. The VPN software sits on any PC on your network (and can
run as a windows service if you choose).

http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/
is the openVpn homepage.

Windows installation instructions are here:

http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/INSTALL-win32.html

Details of bridging configuration are here

http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/bridge.html

It looks more complicated and intimidating than it is; if you follow
the instructions to the letter, it should just work. I'd recommend
getting the basic install working first, before tackling bridging,
which is just a little bit more complicated.

Patrick