From: "Simon Rafferty" <simonr@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] SliMP3 and the BBC

> I, as have many people, emailed the BBC, THe SoS for Arts and Media
(Tessa
Jowell) and her government office (department for culture, media and sport)
asking why a National public broadcasting service is using a propriatary
method for streaming media across the internet and not an open standard
such
as MP3, to date myself and about 3,000 other people have had no reply.
Frankly I find this quite disgusting that neither of the 3  people /
organisations were prepared to even acknowledge that this is an issue. If
you feel strongly about the BBC using real audio, and not providing an
alternate mp3 stream, I suggest that you also lobby Tessa Jowell or the BBC
about this issue.

> Simon

this
with
>   a bit of realtime transcoding but it is not very satisfactory (there
are
>   some posts on the Slim list re this). There are also some overseas
streaming
>   sources of some BBC content that are in mp3 or wma.  A high quality
route
>   can be had using a Psion Wavefinder and streaming the BBC digital
MUX
output
>   to the SliMP3, but that needs a bit more hardware.

>   UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
>   http://www.ukha2004.com
>
>   http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
>
>   Member Offers - http://www.freeranger.co.uk/ukha

Service.