USB mis(t)ery

Hi,

I would like some food for thought on this one :
I replaced my PC jukebox with an (old) laptop (less noise, less power
consumption and less space) I added an external 160gb disk (which I
filled up with the archive from my original Jukebox) to the USB 1.0
port and had a tough time configuring it but in the end the disk was
recognised and music was available..until next reboot - no way the pc
would see the usb device ever again, tried all different settings and
drivers. So I added a cardbus card with 2 usb 2.0 ports - after
messing around with irq's to get the card recognised finally - same
scenario - sometimes card not recognised after reboot and only once
managed to see my disk through it.
Since the external case also has firewire I would like to try to
configure it that way but would need a cardbus interface.
1) any recommendations on what type/make of pcmcia card to acquire ?
2) how come my usb config disappears ??

(the laptop is an old Toshiba 220cd p120 running 98se - I could
install ME on it but don't see much use in that)

rgds,
Rob