_____

From: Marcus Warrington [mailto:marcusw@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 19 September 2003 10:40
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx

I've just ordered a Dell Axim Pocket PC(2003) and a CF WIFI
card to use as a "house" remote to control MP3 playback (via
Veronica) movie playback etc via a web interface. What I would
also like to do is use the Axim in the car for GPS navigation
(probably using TomTom software). I know I need to buy a GPS
Ariel BUT I would also like the Ariel to be used with a laptop
(for war driving). Ideally I would like to be able to use the
Ariel on both devices at the same time (i.e. using some form
of splitter cable). My first thought was to buy a USB style
GPS, since I thought this would enable me to use it on both
laptop (actually a tabletPC) and the Axim. I have no idea if
I could split the usb cable into two ? I was looking at either
the RoyalTek or the Fortuna U2 GPS. After a bit of research on
the .net I have found that some people have problems getting usb
to work on a PDA and advice that on Serial GPS connection is
better. Problem there is that the laptop has no serial connection
(or PS2 connection) only USB. Next option was to buy a CF GPS
since both the laptop and the AXIM have a CF slot. Problem there
is that these cost more and means I can't mount the Ariel on the
dashboard (since its physically slotted into the device).

Is anyone else on the list using a GPS Ariel with a PDA ?
Anyone have any advice or experience ?

Marcus Warrington
marcusw@xxxxxxx MIS Computer Services (UK)