Re: [OT] Gonna buy fast PC - what/who/where?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT] Gonna buy fast PC - what/who/where?
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:02:42 -0000

Paul

Funny you should bring this up! I just bought 3 self-build (well=20
sort of) I 2 of them (the barebones ones) worked fine, but I have=20
problems with the fastest one.
I bought a shuttle SN41G2 (Athlon 3000+, 512Mb DDR 333 RAM), this is=20
a spare  and I just liked the look of the black box, it looks really=20
neat.
I also got a ASUS Pundit barbones with a 2.66 Intel p4 533 FSB.
This one sits under the counter and is hooked up to a 15" lcd touch=20
monitor with the whole lobby suite.
The each have a 120Gb low-noise drive.
The "fast one" which I am having nightmare with (this is to
replace=20
my main desktop) is:
Asus P4C800E delux mobo, with P4 3.06Ghz (I believe there is a=20
3.3Ghz variant) with HT and 800 Mhz FSB. 1Gb (2x512 twinx) Corsair=20
XMS4000 - the fastest memory availalble - I think?
The case is a Thermaltake Xazer aluminium with a 530 watt Globalwin=20
silent psu.
I got a Connect 3d Radeon 9800 Pro for the GPU. A pair of Seagate=20
160Gb SATA drives on RAID.

I bought the whole lot from Microdirect.

But I can not get it to work :-( - I have reinstalled and double-
checked everything, but I get no output from the graphics card.
It's not the graphics card though, I tried it in another pc and it=20
works fine. I tried an old working graphics card in the Asus, still=20
no joy.
I don't get any beeps for errors either, although the green led=20
comes on stays one while power is applied. It switchs on/off from=20
the front power panel OK.
I am going to take it out of the case and try it on a flat anti-stat=20
surface in case somehow there is short (??) somewhere between the=20
case and mobo, but it is really getting me p***ed off.
Is there anything I have overlooked? Or just a faulty mobo?
Any advice or help would be most appreciated.

Keyvan

=20
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups@s...> wrote:
> Got sick of my current main desktop PC and finally want to upgrade=20
it. But want it all TOMORROW!!!!