Re: X10 only on powerlines???

Derek Erb wrote:

> Am I looking in totally the wrong direction here?  I thought X10
> would allow me to hook up cameras, alarms and lights to my computer
> network for controlling via PCs.  Is there a different technology I
> should be looking at?

In short yes and no and no and yes... :-)

The X10 protocol is sent over power lines and basically consists of
addresses, on, off and dim signals.

It is designed to send the signals over your standard ring main.

To interface with the PC, you get a powerline - serial adapter (CM12)
which then lets your PC view and send X10 commands onto the powerline.
The PC can then serve a web page which lets you send out signals through
it's CM12, using software such as www.homeseer.com

There are other interfaces onto X10 in the form of RF receivers, IR
receivers and general coupling devices. These can be used to take other
items and interface them onto the X10 power line system.

Some alarm systems have X10 capabilities either inbuilt or with an
optional upgrade adapter, which enable them to control all the devices
on X10.

X10.com make XCams which is basically a wireless camera, and receiver
with a power supply which is switchable via X10.

On the list, most of the guys (and girls!) here use X10 because it's
relatively cheap, easy to retrofit and easily available. A lot of us are
looking at other solutions such as Clipsal C-Bus which comes in at a not
too dissimilar price point, but requires major re-wiring so is not ideal
for a retro-fit unless you're planning to do some serious re-wiring.

HTH!
--
Doogie

** UKHA2004 BE THERE! ** - start planning now.

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx