RE: X10 only on powerlines???

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X10 only on powerlines???
  • From: "Dean Smith" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:58:44 +0100

Derek

X10 as a Communications system runs over power lines only. Any sender or
receiver module must therefore be attached to the Mains. The lines dont
necessariy have to be dedicated so its useful for controlling any mains
powered device. ('cos by definition the mains is there already!). It is
limited to On/Off and Dim for lights.

You can get IR and RF Controllers, which accept control signals from IR or
RF remotes and transmit onto the mains. You an also get a PC interface to
send/receive X10

X10 as a company also sell wireless cameras - some of which use X10 to turn
the power on/off to  one of several transmitter and hence slect the camera
recieved by the reciever.

Some alarms have X10 interfaces (e.g. Comfort) to allow the Alarm to
respond
to and send X10 signals. E.g. turn your lights on if a break-in is detected
etc.

There are other (primarily lighting ?) control systems that use low voltage
cable (e.g. Cat5) for the control bus e.g. CBUS. I believe there are a
variety of modules now that can do more than lighting.

If you want to explicity control via Ethernet over Cat5 there are a few
people on the list experimenting with small embedded ethernet controllers I
believe though I know little detail.

Regards

Dean