RE: Baby's first PC

Quoting Alex Monaghan <ha@xxxxxxx>:
> > They've already mastered the Power switch on my main server :(
>
> Lock & key on server room required :-) I've an old broken keyboard
sitting

Luckily, I did install a lock on the door when the room became my
"office", but
SWMBO doesn't always remember to lock it, and when I'm in there, I can't
lock
myself in!
I still don't know how daniel did it initially - 1st time in the room, he
turns
straight to the server and presses the off button.
Thing is, it's a flush button, so colour aside, there was nothing to
differentiate it from it's surroundings.  There were other more
"interesting"
things he might have done, such as press the prutruding floppy drive
button, CD
keys, grab the mouse etc but no, the power button called & he answered
:(
#2 son soon followed suit.
(We have our TV on button duck-taped down and use standby mode only -
otherwise
they'd be turning the bugger on & off all day long :(  OTOH, I _do_
want it to
expire :-) )

> > I thought about just attaching PC to TV, but am concerned
>
> I'm running through a 17" Fisher TV and quality is fine at
800*600, many
> games seem to want 640*480 anyway - quality is surprisingly good for
the age
> of the TV (worth all my trouble back in the mid 80's trying to find a
TV
> with a SCART so I cold connect my Amiga !)

Maybe will give it a go then.  Do EPIA mobo's give reasonable results
through
the TV out?  I thought I read long long ago that they were pretty poor?

My own experiences are with VGA-TV converters many moons ago, and the
results
were pretty pants really :(

> Standard Win 98 startup noises are great through a 5.1 setup :-)

LOL.

> I managed to find a small 2 button USB mouse, it's about 2" by
1" and fits
> the kids hands perfectly, doubt it's still available as the PC's about
4
> years old now. Windows 98 seems to work fine with this mouse AND a
genuine
> MS USB wheelie mouse (1 in each USB port), although SWMBO now has her
own PC

Ah cool, so you can have both operating at once, no probs.  That's what I
want.
Mebbie could settle for wired small mouse for children + wireless for adult
operate from a distance.....

> Have you actually tried using one of these remote keyboard / mouse
> combinations, once you've got past the initial login, you'll be ready
to bin
> it !

:(

> PPS The best source of entertainment will of course be
> http://tony'shouse.com/control_panel, look
Dad, when I click here the lights
> go on and off :-)

ROFL. Yeah.  I see the future...the future is me posting to this group
something along the lines of "Now my kids have mastered the basics of
PC
control, they have taken over my LAN and locked me out of the network - how
do
I reset the Administrator password when all I have is a locked down desktop
and
NO internet access :("  :-/

cheers,

T.