RE: X-Box question

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X-Box question
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <des@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:22:06 +0100

Hi Alex,

> Does the X-Box have any serious HA use or is it's presence on the
> list just
> an acceptance of the fact that we're all finding toys to play with ?

Where it really scores is as a distributed AV system.

> If it does have a serious HA side, then what do people use it for ?
Anyone
> running Linux on theirs ?

Very little point in running linux on an xbox except for the 'because I
can'
reason.

Is there any video capture capability
> (thinking of
> a potential Tivo type of system) ?

There is ongoing development of a USB capture, Tivo Like system. But I
don't
think it would set the world alight if it ever gets released.

The only thing that I can think of that would make the Xbox even more
useful
in the HA arena, is if the xAPL people would modify the XBMP source code so
that we could use the subtitles function to display xPL/xAP messages on
screen.

Cheers, Des.