Re: MusicLobby Users?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: MusicLobby Users?
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:40:56 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Ian Lowe" <ian@w...> wrote:
> [...]

Yup. That's the way the xAP connector does it.

It's, at the simplest level, a drop-in replacement for the CM12. (I
really mean drop in - I did it at home.)

I don't support the OSD or TEMP stuff, because I don't use it - I
guess I should, really.

You know, we REALLY need to work out whether xAP and xPL can come
together, and if they can't look at ways of bridging between them.

The biggest technical barrier was the use of the xAP IANA port by
xAP. But now your IANA application has gone through (well done!),
we've got an easy solution for that.

xPL is a subset of xAP, which adds an enforced policy layer embedded
in the protocol rather than abstracted out and some parsing-
efficiency changes to the header.

We both know that it's really the poliy layer that separates us. We
agree that it adds value. We agree that it imposes limitations. Our
difference is whether the value justifies the limitations :-)

The difference that xPL assumes a central controller and xAP doesn't
NEED one is pretty irrelevant for the purposes of bridging.
Certainly, I _do_ make use of a central controller in my xAP
installation.

For common things like OSD, X10, MusicControl and the like, it ought
to be possible to bridge between them by simply rewriting schema
messages and adding the right headers.

I realise that the stuff like hierarchical subaddressing is the kind
of thing that xPL dropped for efficiency... but the basic stuff
doesn't really need that. Things like the C-BUS controller aren't
really accesible to xPL because there's information in the xAP side
with no obvious mechanism in xPL to accept passthrough.

In terms of two immediate benefits:

- It would open up the basic Homevision functionality to the xPL world
- It would open up the basic Rio Receiver functionality to the xAP
world

Interested in collaborating?

Mark