RE: Power cut problem or more X10 woes?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Power cut problem or more X10 woes?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:15:11 +0100

Hi Alcina,

The fluorescent flicker is easy to explain.

The triac in the socket rocket has probably got a "snubber"
across it. This
is a resistor and capacitor in series to help minimise interference. A side
effect of a snubber is that a very small current will trickle through it at
all times.

A normal incandescent lamp will simply short this trickle current out
without so much as a dim glow. With the compact fluorescent, a capacitor is
charging up with this current until there is sufficient voltage across it
for the electronics to think the power is on and the lamp stikes....very
briefly...because the trickle current is not high enough to supply the lamp
when on so the voltage drops to zero and the lamp goes off. No load is then
presented to this trickle current which then charges the capacitor in the
lamp once again and it all starts off again!

The X10 black hole is more difficult to explain if you havent connected up
anything new since your holiday.

Its possible that the CM12 has been damaged and the signal being
transmitted
is not as strong, or some other piece of equipment has been damaged the
surge that probably occured at power failure or restoration[*]. Try
unplugging variuos bits of kit and see if everything starts working again.

[*] Depending on the cause of the power failure it is possible that
equipment was subjected to high voltage surges. It is also possible that if
all 3 phases arent restored at exactly the same time the unbalanced loading
can cause other phases to go outside there normal limits. Several years ago
I visited a site where all the phones, computers, faxes.. and worst of
all...coffee machine, were destroyed after a power failure cause by a
workman putting his pickaxe through an 11000 volt cable that was just under
the surface of the pavement!!

A few weeks after the event, I was contacted by a claims assessor from the
companies insurer who was not quibbling about the fact that the fault was
caused by the cable fault, but wanted to know whether I thought the damage
occured at power failure or restoration. I told him I had no way of knowing
but that staff there had told me everything went BANG when the power came
back on.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv