Re: Asterisk progress

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Asterisk progress
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 16:39:27 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 7 May 2003, UKHA wrote:

> You will need to run other software as the proxy, * is effectively a
user
> agent. There are a number of free ones available partysip http://www.partysip.org
> and ser http://www.iptel.org/ser/ are two that
I know of. Both of these
> are free (you gotta love the linux crowd!).

That is good news. I got decidedly worried when Tim at Provu started
talking about rack-mounted proxy units that cost tens of thousands of
Pounds.

He told me that for VoIP, my two Snom phone are all I need to start
talking. I was expecting the addition of the Asterisk server or similar as
well. So can I speak to you and Dan with my Snom phones alone?

> ROFLMAO! Surely thats more than 1000 per person on the entire planet
> (if not more... in fact it must be more, lots more!)

Yes, I agree that it is a ridiculous number of IP addresses for anybody.
We seem to have gone from a shortage of IP addresses to drowning in them.
With the widespread use of NAT, the IPv4 shortage is easing anyway.

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx
Laser Business Systems Ltd.