Re: Voice Over IP

Hi Martyn,

> The phones on eBay are Cisco CP-30VIP (try the url
http://tinyurl.com/ak51),
I cannot access even this url....:-(
Yup... they cannot be used with SIP or H.323.. so ... not good for personal
use.

> I've been trying to see if it's possible to flash them
> with a different firmware to make them SIP compatible, but so far no
> success.
No way... just 7910/20/40/60 can be flashed with SIP image.

> I've just visited FWD and signed up, so now all I need is to decide on
and
> find some inexpensive phones.
You can start using a soft phone... try X-Lite (free from
http://www.xten.com) or SJPhone (free
evaluatiuon version from
http://www.sjlabs.com)
They are some cheap Ethernet to analog phone adapters (supporting both SIP
and H.323), like Yoda VG-100TA. See:
http://www.sys-net.ro/index.php?pagina=produs&categorie=f&subcat=f1
or the
producer site:
http://www.yoda.com.tw/
I don't know if they are available there...

Some possible combined solution are:
Actiontec USB Internet Phone Wizard (http://www.actiontec.com). I just
ordered one a couple of days ago and I must wait for about 3 weeks till I
get it here.
The nice feature of this one is that you can use the same standard fixed or
cordless phone for analogue and/or IP calls (just switch between them with
'##'). I don't know in this moment which of the FWD supported soft phones
can be used with Actiontec.... I'll be back with details ASAP.
A nice phone (combined digital cordless analogue/IP can be found at:
http://www.eutecticsinc.com/products/products.html)

I have in this moment the following setup:
The main phone is a Cisco 7960 with SIP image
A PC with SJPhone and an USB headset (Plantronics)
2 notebooks with X-Lite
one Compaq iPaq H3870 with 802.11b wireless card and X-Lite pocket PC
version

I have done some tests with Cisco ATA-186 with good results.

I still search for the ideal solution (in my opinion), which must do the
following:
- standalone (no PC necessary)
- supports SIP (with NAT support)/H.323 (even both in the same time on
separate profiles/lines)
- able to use the same phone for both IP and PSTN calls
- the following codecs available: G.711, G.723 - a must for low QoS links
(optional G.729 too)
- low price..

Yoda has some devices very close to that...

Best regards,
Dan