Divx vs. DVD - quality shootout?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Divx vs. DVD - quality shootout?
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 20:20:45 -0000

Well, given that the "MP3 player quality shoot-out" proposal
seems to
have attracted some interest, how about a "Video shoot-out".

- a real DVD, on a real DVD player
- a real DVD, replayed through a suitable PC from a DVD-ROM drive
- a "ripped to disk DVD", through a suitable PC from HDD
- a "rippted to disk and Divxed DVD", through a suitable PC from
HDD

Anyone willing / able to provide the necessary kit?

I would suggest that, in the interests of fairness we choose a single
DVD movie, that we can all agree is well-mastered, and the various
camps rip in advance, so that the proponents of the various ripping
formats can choose whatever settings they consider are the best
quality-wise.

There is, as we know, going to be a reasonable quality sound system
there for the MP3 players and the xAP demo. I'm sure someone can
rustle up a reasonably good video projector.

Interested?

If so, what film(s) would you recomend as being a good showcase?

Regards,

Mark