From: Graham Howe [mailto:graham@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 08 March 2003 22:29
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] HC Cabling

Just thought I'd throw my comments in as Ken has already mentioned me ;-)

> Any particular reason to buy a ready made cable for the sub? I would
much
> rather run it to a faceplate with a phono socket. What spec cable does
it
> need?

I have used faceplates for all my speaker connections including subs. In
my case the subs were connected with 'silver pink' cable source from my
local AV dealer (I made the plates myself). The speakers were connected
wit=
some pretty hefty biwire cable because all of my speakers allow biwiring.

=
> number of cables (where x is the number of speakers ) from the AV
corne=
> Node Zero. These would also terminate in 4mm sockets at each end, all
o=
> this wiring would be channeled in the wall.

I have not yet moved everything to node zero, but I am considering it (as
Ken said). However my approach will be slightly unusual. I intend to have
all sources and the AV amp in node zero and then power amps in the lounge
connected to the speakers. The reason for this is two fold. First I have
already cabled the house and did not run speaker cable from node zero to
th=
lounge. Second, Keith's KAT5s seem to convey line level AV perfectly over
long lengths of CAT5 and I have plenty of that.

> If the AV amp is in the Living room you just use the speaker sockets
an=
> av
> corner sockets. If the Amp is in Node Zero you use a short cable with
4mm
> plugs at each end to connect the pairs of sockets in the AV corner,
thi=
> would provide connection from speaker to the amp in node zero.
>
> This would mean the AV amp could be located in either location.
>
> I guess the extra set of plug/socket connection might degrade the
signa=
> some but is there any reason it wouldnt work?

It would work, and with a powered signal probably not too much
degradation. However, depending on number of runs, biwiring, quality of
speaker cable, the cost could be pretty high. For example my speaker wire
i=
=A34.50 per metre and there are probably 50m in the walls around the
lounge=
.
CAT5 is 10p per metre and a pair of KAT5s about =A380.

Also, don't forget your video signals, if you move the AV amp any
significant distance from the project/plasma/TV then you could well have
signal problems as the video signal is line level. Of course this is
anothe=
reason for KAT5s to be used (Keith will be sending me the commission cheque
as soon as he receives your payment ;-).

Graham

> Thanks
> Mick

you.
Only
>   > thing
>   > I am unclear about is the centre speaker or speakers....I seem
>   recall
>   > reading a while back about using two centre speakers and in
some
cases
>   two
>   > subs? It isn't something I intend doing soon but I want to
cable fo=
>   > everything I can possibly think of.
>
>   I would only cable for one centre as the likelihood of needing or
>   wanting another one is extremely slim for what you say of your use
fo=
>   it. Basically, two centres are used in some rooms, one above and one
>   below the display, to reputedly balance the sound. I have tried this
on
>   a couple of occasions and it's a waste of time IMHO a single good
centre
>   is just as good as two if it's set up correctly almost universally
>   placed below the display.
>
>   Two subs, is that all? You can never have enough subs! ;)
>
>   I use three in here, but that's a bit extreme TBH, one is fine for
most
>   people and since they are omni-directional situating the sub/s is
not
>   *really* that critical depending on how fussy you want to be and the
>   subs and room/furnishings. The problem with it is that to do that
you
>   really need to have the sub/s and the room furnished for the
ultimate
>   sound, me I couldn't give a monkey's TBH what the hi-fi guru's
prattl=
>   on about. I fired two subs at either side roughly where the one I
showed
>   in the diagram is and then launched a little 'un on the rear pair.
>
>   > Another question is on  the location of the AV amp and
therefore
where
>   > run
>   > the speaker cables to...do I stick it in Node Zero or do I keep
the
>   amp in
>   > the room.
>
>   Hmm, tough call that one and it is very dependant on what you want
>   personally. I have all my AV kit in the one room but I know a lot of
>   people run it to a node 0, personally I don't hold with that but in
some
>   cases there is little option, especially aesthetically. Needless to
say
>   it can be done and fairly easily, I think Graham Howe did that
exactl=
>   so maybe best to ask him about how to and the problems involved if
any.

>   > And finally does any of this require non-speaker cable, for
example
>   for
>   > the
>   > sub?
>
>   If it's a powered sub then normally it's wired with a single phono
plug
>   connection from the amp to the sub you can buy them in various
length=
>   from any hi-fi store quite easily and they're not that expensive
either.
>   Powered subs, obviously I suppose from the name, require power for
their
>   internal amps. So basically a long single phono plug lead and a
socke=
>   for power and you're good to go.
>
>   For a passive sub you need to run the feed off of which you want the
sub
>   to come from, split it and run it back to the speakers. TBH though a
>   passive sub these days is as rare as rocking horse doo doo and
chance=