RE: Query on wiring and Cbus

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Query on wiring and Cbus
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <rmouser@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:25:52 -0000

>>OK bear with me here. I'm a little fuzzy (Large curry and quite a
few
lagers! Screen and keyboard non to clear :-))

Sorry that should say largers! I think . Oh dear. I'm going to pour
myself a rum and coke perhaps that will help.

Rob

OK bear with me here. I'm a little fuzzy (Large curry and quite a few
lagers! Screen and keyboard non to clear :-))

Pink cable: =A350+VAT Trade
4 button e2000 switch: =A354.00+VAT Trade

>From memory (I'm not a sparky!) 5amp is the 'practical' limit on 1.5mm
t&e.

I would personally not feed a sub-consumer unit with 1.5mm or 2.5mm. I
*think* wiring regs would not support this as they would say that there
is a risk someone might put a higher ampage feed from the unit. i.e.
sockets or shower. I have secondary consumer units in my barn for c-bus,
they are fed by 32amp mother of cables complete with separate earths.
The sparky would not do it any other way. A complete bitch to run
though!

Wiring regs and c-bus is one almighty grey area which I am currently
researching. Clipsal admit that much of the regs just don't recognise
SELV type apps like C-bus. A good example of this is c-bus switches in
bathrooms:

Extract from c-bus technical:

What is the position re using Clipsal switches in a bathroom - does it
comply with IEE regs (BS7671) ?? C-bus operates SELV which according to
the regs you could install a c-bus switch in the bathroom, however if
you are NICEIC/ECA registered they will fail your installation. It's one
of these grey areas which in time will resolve it self by understanding
and the number systems being installed.

HTH

Rob