RE: [OT] 2Mbit ADSL

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [OT] 2Mbit ADSL
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:55:27 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Paul wrote:

> Don't get me going on about BT support Li!!!!!

Oops! I have obviously hit a raw nerve somewhere.

> web sites and email servers. Trouble is they don't admit it - it's
> been going on for 3-4 days now and they still haven't got anywhere.

BT have been known to block at least the SMTP port without warning people
in the past so it wouldn't surprise me if they would go further and start
blocking certain IP addresses that are deemed unsuitable or potentially
harmful.

> Phoned BT this morning and the guy dealing with it is off sick!!!
> Having to start all over again with someone else.

One of our IT clients had their 512k ADSL down for three weeks. After more
25 calls to the helpdesk (and with almost as many different names that
were spoken to), the fault was finally traced to their RADIUS server not
routing the line correct after authentication. Because of the truely
non-technical people that BTO use to man the helpline, we couldn't even
mention that the client was running Linux servers but had to ask the
client to connect the ADSL line to a Windows PC to get the error codes
displayed and tried things out under instructions. We were not amused.

> I HATE BT SUPPORT!!!!!

I got the idea too, Paul.

Regards,

Kwong Li