RE: [OT] Poor Sky Digital Reception

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Poor Sky Digital Reception
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:08:21 +0100

Steve,

LOL - mine cleared up last night !!

The cable-LNB connection was fine. The dish hasn't moved (or if it did it's
now fixed itself pretty securely in it's new position !)

When you said you saw a big difference between the "standard"
signal strength meter and the one from 2D, which way did you see the
difference ?

On the standard one I get 60% strength & 40% quality
On the 2D meter I get 80% strength and 90-95% quality !!

Is it possible to have too good a signal ? My digibox has a higher gain
(allegedly) than some of it's peers and was preferred by expats 'cos it
could pull in weaker signals. Maybe the BBC have upped the transponder
power, and by the time my box receives it it's too strong. Does sound a bit
far fetched though. Incidentally, putting a damp J-cloth over the LNB
blocked the signal completely and resulted in the "No satellite signal
being received" message. This message may be driven from the standard
strength meter, not the 2D one.

The only thing I did change was to remove the digibox from the TV cabinet
and reconnect it sitting on top, after leaving it unplugged for about 5-10
mins. Previously I'd only left it 2-3 mins. I watched the whole of that
BBC1 Soho police docu-soap without so much as a flicker (great insight into
some CCTV controls BTW). May change by the time I get home again though ;-)

I have the same sentiments re: getting someone in to look at it. I put it
up myself and don't want to invite someone round to "fix" it. As
far as I'm concerned it's a BBC problem.

Cheers,

Tim H.
P.S. I checked and I can receive Game Network no problem :-)