Re: US to UK CLI / CLD

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: US to UK CLI / CLD
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 13:15:46 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Stuart Billinghurst" <stuart@h...>
wrote:
> Is it possible to 'convert / translate' UK CLI information into US
CLI
> information so that I can sit a US CLI information reader on a
telewest line
> and see the CLI information coming in on the call as it is
presented? I.E. I
> do not believe that the HAL Voice Portal can read the UK CLI yet..
Been
> waiting two years for them to release a flash upgrade to allow this
> happen.. I also have a US Analouge CLI card for my Panasonic
KXTD816 PABX
> and it would be 'nice to have' the incoming CLI displayed on the
digital
> ext's The other option is to go to ISDN, though in a house with
only two
> people and BB it seems a bit overkill to have two line's and thus
two line
> rentals!

What you are actually asking is can you convert BT standard CLI to
Bell standard CLI. Both standards are actively used in the UK today -
Bell is often found on cable TV lines, BT obviously use the BT
standard. It would be worth checking whether your line uses BT or
Bell standard signalling if you have not done so already.

The standards differ not only in the data format, but in the way the
data is presented. BT Caller ID info is presented before the first
ring (to allow for silent meter reading type applications and so on),
where as Bell standard CLI is presented after the first ring and
before the second ring.

Converting between the two formats would require capturing the
initial BT caller id info before the first ring and re-injecting it
into the line after the first ring. Once this was done, the format of
the data would differ from that which the app was expecting from a
Bell standard caller id unit - but not by much - depending on how the
software was implemented, it may be usable.

If you just want to display caller id info, or speak caller id info,
you might want to look at either using my Homeseer plug-in with a
crucible meteor caller id box, or using my xAP connector for the
meteor caller id box. See patrick.lidstone.net/ha for more details.

Hope that helps

Patrick