Speaker locations - any help appreciated

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Speaker locations - any help appreciated
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:54:48 +0100

I'm just in the process of finalising my cable plans for the new house and
have reached the audio/surround sound cabling issues. Because of the
universal attraction of little probing fingers to expensive speaker cones
then floor/stand mounted speakers are out and a quality sub/sat package is
in. The set up will also need to work reasonably in stereo as well so I
need
positions that give the best sound for both situations. The room is 5m x 4m
with the screen in the centre of one of the 5m walls, so my first guess at
placement is to locate the speakers in the four corners of the room with
the
drivers pointing back to the main seating area. The centre front will sit
underneath the screen, and I'm considering wiring for a rear centre for the
full 6.1 experience although again it may well have to sit at the
wall/ceiling boundary.

I'd appreciate any advice from those that have played with speaker
placement, and maybe those in the group who work on custom installations
could add their personal & professional views.

Thanks

Neil B.