RE: Re: UKHA2003 - key learnings?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: UKHA2003 - key learnings?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 21:35:58 +0100

> > Agreed...but that "core group" need to pre-book at the
> earliest possible
> > time.

*** DO NOT TAKE THIS BIT AS ADVICE ***

It is possible to book TOO EARLY !!!!

As soon as I got SWMBO approval I booked a room. As SWMBO wasnt going I
asked for a Single Room and because I was one of the first to book, they
actually had a single room. People who tried to book a single room a few
days later got a free upgrade to twin or double :-(

*** PROPER STUFF HERE !!! ****

Seriously though... given the success of this years event I can only assume
that UKHA2004 will be even bigger but we do need money up front to ensure
that we can get the best pick of presentation rooms to suit our needs.

I was very impressed by everything that I saw and I would have liked to
have
had more time to look more closely at things but I guess that was true for
everyone else who had a "one man" stand.

Technical problems are always possible when kit has to be transported and
setup in a hurry. We do need more time to set up and hopefully rehearse,
not
neccesarily the full speech but a technical run through just to make sure
everything is working. If we can setup on the friday night next year that
will help a great deal and should also give more time on the Saturday for
presentations.

I need to take more kit. I set my demo up in the lounge the night before I
left to make sure everything was connected up and working. I then packed
that into boxes. I then grabbed some extra leads, adapters, plugboards,
KAT5
Units and PSU's "just in case". I lost count of the number of
times DVD
Players and KAT5 units were "borrowed" for the main
presentations. KAT5
should be a proper presentation next year and as part of the Whole House
Audio features will have speakers distributed around the room which can be
used for sound reinforcement for the other presenters.

A radio mic (preferably headset type) should be considered essential as it
was very difficult to hear at the rear of the room, especially for a deaf
git like me!

For a show to be put on by a group friends who are geographically separated
by hundreds of miles is a major achievement in itself and I have seen
professionally run shows that have been less organised than we were. I am
already looking forward to next years show.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv