Re: [OT] Vigor ISDN Routers -which one ??

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT] Vigor ISDN Routers -which one ??
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:26:42 +0100

Dean,

My router is a 2200 which I initially used on an ISDN line, and now use on
an NTL cable line. - I chose this model specifically for it's dual-purpose
upgradeability, as it has 2 WAN interfaces, - 1 BRI ISDN, and 1 Ethernet.

When I used it on ISDN, I'm pretty certain it did have the CLI recognition
feature to allow a call-in to initiate a dial-out, and it certainly does
have the VPN facility as I use that quite extensively...

You really need the VPN feature if you want to make full use of your
networks at either end... without it, you are limited to acessing only what
you choose to publish to the WAN interface, - ie FTP, HTTP, SMTP, and so
on... you can of course use port redirections to get to multiple endpoints,
and there's no reason you "can't" open whatever ports you like at
each end
to allow whatever services you want, - other than that would be a really
stupid thing to do! - you really wouldn't want to allow the entire internet
population RDP access to your PC's for example.... At least with the VPN
you
have a "reasonably" secure way of connecting the networks
together to allow
full access so you can map drives, use remote desktop, etc. etc. etc.....

However, I believe a new model is due imminently which also has VOIP
functions built-in, and sports a couple of phone jacks on the back panel
for
connecting normal POTS phones to your broadband line... - that might be
worth looking at as well...

HTH

Paul G.