RE: Help needed.....may loose job....

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Help needed.....may loose job....
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:34:10 +0100

Hi Brian,

Glad it was helpful, I dont know if you found this document...

http://www.esda.org/pdf_files/s2020std.pdf

"ANSI/ESD-S20.20-1999"

6.2.1. Grounding / Bonding Systems

6.2.1.1. Grounding / Bonding Systems Requirements

Grounding/Bonding Systems shall be used to ensure
that ESDS items, personnel and any other
conductors (e.g. mobile equipment) are at the same
electrical potential. As a minimum, ESDS items,
personnel and other related conductors shall be
bonded or electrically interconnected.

6.2.1.2. Grounding / Bonding Systems Guidance

In most cases, the third wire (green) AC equipment
ground is the preferred choice for ground

*******
When the third wire AC equipment ground is not available
or impractical to use, personnel should be bonded or
electrically connected to a conductive element of the
ESDS item using a wrist strap or other grounding
system to ensure that all elements are at the same
electrical potential.
*******

The starred section above indicates that although grounding is preferable,
it is the bonding of person to equipment that is paramount.

I've lost count of the number of "Dont Zap It - Strap It" signs
that I have
seen!!!

We actually had a site where the switchboard operator had to wear a wrist
strap because she kept getting charged up with static and crashing the
switchboard everytime she tried to press a key!!!  We tried to tell her
that
wearing nylon undies was a bad idea :-)

Good luck.

Keith