Re: Help needed.....may loose job....

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Help needed.....may loose job....
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:40:53 -0000

I agree with what Ian said, and will take it a step further.

If the task you were being asked to carry out was potentially
dangerous, then there should be:

1: A documented risk assesment showing that the task in question had
been reviewed leading to:

2: A method statement in place describing the way in which the task
should be carried out.

3: Annual training in safety procedures, and records kept thereof of
such training.

If your employer does not have such things, then they need to
urgently review their Health and Safety Practice.

For the record, I was IT Operations Manager at two of the UK's
largest construction companies where such things were taken
seriously. In both cases, our working practice was to earth TO THE PC
BEING WORKED ON, ensuring that the PC in question was earthed.

Regards,

Mark

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Ian Lowe" <ian@w...> wrote:
> [...]
onto the
> rack, the Server chassis, or some other bonded item, rather than
a "proper"
> earth.
>
> My Gut Instinct though is that the technical position doesn't
matter.

> This is an absolutely trivial matter, especially if it's the first
time it
> has been mentioned. If the first word that pops into the heads of
mangement
> is "legal", there's something else amiss, and they may be
just
looking for