Re: A Comets Tail :) (its a bit long)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: A Comets Tail :) (its a bit long)
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:20:52 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Wayne" <wayne@p...> wrote:
> ok - what happens to 'the weakest link in the chain' idea?
> If Keiths Kat5 units can use cheap leads without any noticeable
> differance - then why go for the more expensive solutions,
> in fact why at all?

OK, let's for a moment assume that the "weakest link"
concept is a good model. (It's not bad, but it's not good either.)

If the rest of your hifi is relatively cheap, then cheap SCART leads
will be fine. The fact that KAT5 isn't the weak link in the chain is
well proven.

If the rest of your hifi is high-end, then cheap SCART leads may not
be fine. The fact that KAT5 may not be the weak link in the chain is
also something you need to test.

You need to try things in YOUR system.

At the very bottom end, cheap = flimsy, and that's a bad idea.
Further up the chain, it all hinges on source quality. I use a rather
better quality SCART cable on the DVD player than on the VCR or the
babycam (where the limiting factor is the camera itself, and is a key
KAT5 application for me.)

Regards,

Mark