Re: A Comets Tail :) (its a bit long)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: A Comets Tail :) (its a bit long)
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:45:33 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "wayne" <wayne@p...> wrote:
> [...]

Er, no. That's not what Keith said. He said that the KAT5 units seem
to have stood up to the scrutiny of audiophiles, despite only being
tested with cheap leads.

In my (tested) experience, leads can make a tremendous difference.

One of the nice things that some dealers used to do was let you take
home an assorted box of leads, ranging in prices for a few days. (You
basically paid them a deposit equal to the cost of the lot, which was
fully refundable if you brought them all back.)

If you decided to buy, you'd get shiney new leads, rather than their
ex-dem ones, and assuming you only kept them for the specified few
days, your refund would be in the same credit card period as the
charge...

Compared to asking here, borrowing stuff, and determining whether YOU
can tell a difference with YOUR kit in YOUR home, has a lot going for
it :-)

Indeed, the better hi-fi dealers, once you've got to know them and
are a familiar face, will do the same with quite a lot of stuff, not
just leads. If Phase 3 in Worthing are busy, and I want something,
James (the manager) will sometimes say - "I think you want a XXX -
take it home and bring it back next weekend if you don't"...

... the first few times they asked me to pay - now they trust me to
phone up and pay if I keep it :-)

Regards,

Mark